Thickened with nuts and bread, this creamy chicken dish is super-tasty
- 25 g shelled walnuts
- 1–2 fresh red chillies , optional
- 750 g new potatoes
- olive oil
- 1 large handful of black olives
- a few sprigs of fresh mint
- 3 free-range chicken thighs , skin on, bone out
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 125 g breadcrumbs
- 300 ml milk
- 25 g Parmesan cheese
- ½ a lemon , optional
- Grind the walnuts in a pestle and mortar until fine. Halve and deseed the chillies, then pop into a blender with 100ml of water and blitz to a purée.
- Boil the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water for about 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain and steam-dry in a colander for a few minutes, then return to the pan, dress with oil and season.
- Put a lug of oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat. Destone and tear in the olives and pick in the mint leaves. Fry until lightly crispy, then add to the potatoes.
- Place the chicken between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper and bash with a rolling pin or a heavy pan until flattened and an even thickness. Season well, drizzle with oil and place in the fridge until needed.
- Peel and finely chop the onion and garlic, then gently fry in a non-stick pan over a low heat with a good lug of oil for 20 minutes, or until soft and sticky.
- Stir in the blitzed chilli and cook for a few more minutes before adding the breadcrumbs. Stir in the milk and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the sauce thickens, adding a splash of water, if needed.
- Stir in the ground walnuts and finely grate in the Parmesan, simmer for a further 7 minutes, then season and keep warm while you cook the chicken.
- Heat a griddle pan until screaming hot, then add the chicken, skin-side down. Cook for around 4 minutes, or until the skin is lovely and golden, then turn and cook on the other side for 3 to 4 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve the chicken on the sauce with the potato salad on the side. Add a squeeze of lemon (if using) and some extra sliced chilli, if you like.